Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Observing 4th and 6th

I did lots of observing today, which was a nice break and extremely interesting. The day started with a great meeting and presentation about using vocabulary in lessons, especially for ELL students, but really for everyone. She gave some fantastic ideas about how to do that. Her presentation was fantastic and it will be on the intranet. I plan on downloading it while I have access to it and saving that. After morning meeting this morning, I went to 4th grade to observe a math lesson. They are using a new math program in the upper grades so that was interesting to see. It is a Smartboard integrated program called enVision math. The lessons are done step by step on the Smartboard, with a vocab, a lesson, guided practice, and individual practice. The focus was much more on content than on management, which is a big difference from 1st grade. I like the way the tables were organized – clusters of desks. I noticed that she differentiated by letting anyone having trouble with the individual assignment to come work with her in a guided practice at the board. The only trouble was that the students that finished early had nothing to keep them occupied after so the room got a little loud.

In the afternoon, I observed a 6th grade math class. I think it’s funny how all the teachers seem to want me to observe during math time. This was a class mixed up of all the 6th grade students, who have different homeroom teachers. It seems like they start mixing up the classes a bit to get them ready for Middle School. The 6th graders were using laptops for math class. The teacher instructed them using the Smartboard on where to go and how to play a few of the game she wanted them to play – on angles, measuring with a protractor, and symmetry. Then they were called by row to go get a laptop from the laptop cart, which is shared throughout the school. They all worked individually on their assignment. All of them seemed to be on task and the teacher circulated around the room helping students, giving pointers, and asking which games they liked the best and why. I was impressed with her use of technology, though I wish I had gotten to see a little more instruction.

When I got back, our first graders were doing pattern blocks for math. I helped check work as they went along. Then we all took a picture, which I am using as part of my gifts to the class, before I took them to library. When they got back, we played 7-up until buses were called.

No comments:

Post a Comment