Thursday, March 24, 2011

Last Thursday

Today I did some teaching in the morning and observed the rest of the day. I went over to observe another first grade teacher during the morning as well. It was interesting to see how she worked her Daily 5 and guided reading. I feel like her guided reading style would probably suit me better than the way my CT does it. Instead of having them all read the same book at the same time, she had each group member reading a book at their level silently. When they were stuck on a word they let her know and she would work it out with them. After they finished a book, she would have a book talk with them asking who was in the book, when it happened, what happened, where it happened, the problem and the solution. If they couldn’t give a good answer to anything she had them reread it. The kids seemed really focused. I asked her how she knows if they skip words or if they are really reading it. She said they have to be able to answer the questions, and they know that they have to ask themselves if the words match and make sense. If not they need to go back. They practice those strategies a lot in the beginning of the year.

I did two mini lessons this morning and ran yellow group. My minis were on the y sound at the end of words and on fantasy vs. reality. They went really well. The kids liked these fantasy vs. reality task cards that I had. I didn’t print them out; I just used the pdf file and put them up on the Smartboard. It worked really well and if I do a mini tomorrow, I may use other task cards in the same way. I have some more for fact vs. opinion that are really cool.

I can’t believe tomorrow is my last day. I’m excited but also kind of sad about that. I love the kids in my class and have really had so much fun being here. I can only hope to have a class as good as this one when I start teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment