Monday, March 7, 2011

First Full Day!

This morning went very well! This week I am teaching everything and my CT really stepped back and let me handle everything. Morning meeting was a little rough and I gave a bunch of time outs, but the group seemed to settle down a lot and during Daily 5, everything went smoothly. We started a March craft – drawing a rainbow with a clover and pot of gold on each end. They are looking very cute. We didn’t have a ton of time to finish them, but I will try to squeeze this in asap. Daily 5 went very well. I felt better about keeping an eye on the class while I was working with the guided reading groups.
The afternoon was pretty fun too! I felt really calm and it seemed to flow well. My CT’s notes were helpful and she also told me that I seem to be doing a great job. We did a fun writing project where they had to think about what they would do if they were invisible. We did that and after quick mad minute and then it was time for pit. Pit was nice because I wasn’t running it, so I was just watching the kids and making sure they were focused. Later, in math, we did a fun symmetry project. I introduced the concept of symmetry and we talked about how we would fold a shape in half to check to see if it is symmetrical. I had cut out symmetrical pictures in magazines and pasted them to papers. I had them pic a picture and they had to go back to their desks and color in the other half. They came out pretty good! I am going to laminate them and make them into a class book. When they finished, I let them finish up their pot of gold crafts, so now everyone is done. After that, they could read. When everyone was done, I collected the symmetry papers and then I had them all come up to the floor. We did a fast recap of what symmetry means using a little Smartboard game I found. Then it was time to pack up and get ready for recess and gym. It felt good to get a complete day from start to finish under my belt and I am pretty excited to do it again tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment