Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Crazy Day

This morning was definitely more difficult than yesterday. The class was super chatty and off task from the get go. I talked to them in the morning, once we sat down for morning meeting, reminding them of their morning jobs and what they need to do. I asked if anyone was not sure what they needed to do in the morning, and no one was. I told them I’d be watching tomorrow morning to see who is doing the right thing. My CT thinks that they are testing me to see how far they can push and that I need to stay firm. I went into the afternoon prepared to be firm in my rules.

The afternoon was all right. It was definitely a harder day than yesterday. I am trying to think about what I did differently today than yesterday that would have made a difference. I think yesterday’s math lesson was a little easier because we sorted items on the Smartboard, which usually gets them to be a little calmer for some reason. We went through poetry and handwriting pretty easily. They always seem to be pretty good during handwriting. They complete their pages neatly and they are quiet while they work.

In math, the geoboards were a great manipulative, and we used them with rubber bands. We talked about the rules for rubber bands first and luckily there was no flinging of rubber bands during the lesson, but there was a lot of excessive play with the boards. After 3 tries and 2 warnings, we stopped and worked on a worksheet at their desks instead. This worked well. We went through the worksheet together. Luckily, it was this moment when the principal came in the room, so they were all calmer and focused at that time. They did seem to understand the concept of congruency, so that was good at least. For the end of math, I had them use their extra dot paper, which we were using for congruency, to play a square making partner game. This worked well to fill about 7 minutes I had left until they went to recess.

Tomorrow, my CT is out and I am being observed, so I hope they are better behaved.

No comments:

Post a Comment